Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I just rescued a female pit that was a banded in my neig

Customer Question

Hi I just rescued a female pit that was a banded in my neig herhood she's now peeing pure dark musgus like pee I'm been giving her kelflex 500mgs @pepto I'm worried is this normal isn't eating a lot tried to hive ck broth and rice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for helping Athenta and asking about her. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long have you had her? How long have you been giving the Keflex?

If she weighs around 50 pounds, then 500 mg Keflex 2 to 3 times daily is an appropriate dose for a bladder infection. Usually a bladder infection will improve after a dog has been take antibiotics for a few days.

Is she spayed? If she is not spayed, then I am worried this could be an infection in her uterus, and not her bladder. Antibitoics will not treat a uterine infection, also called a pyometra. Dogs with pyometra get sick (not eating, vomiting, drinking a lot of water) and can even die from a pyometra. The treatment for a pyometra is to give an injection of prostaglandins, to induce the uterus to contract and expel the infection. Then you need to get her spayed, or it will happen again.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Athena doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I hope she is doing better.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Verl Evans,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Athenta. How is everything going?