Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Not sure what the symptoms are. He's not acting right. He

Customer Question

Not sure what the symptoms are. He's not acting right. He doesn't want to walk up stairs or jump up to sit on the couch. He's eating, drinking taking a treat. He's been going to the bathroom. He seems to be holding his head up (like when they smell something in the air)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about Riley. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

As for the holding the head up that could potentially be related to neck pain (lower neck) or unrelated but with his breed and his symptoms I would be highly suspicious this is related to back discomfort

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly. I am online another 15 minutes before having to exit for a few hours but will return as soon as I am able if I miss you today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much you were very helpful. We went for a walk and had my two dogs tied together. So I guess that's what caused it.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible. With the breed in the future it would be best to make sure you are using a harness versus a collar. This moves the pressure or tension when on a walk to between the shoulders versus on the neck but also reduces risk of glaucoma with the breed by using a collar

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.