Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Im actually having the same problem with my english bulldog

Customer Question

Hi Dr Bruce, im actually having the same problem with my english bulldog too! Limping now for 4 weeks. The limping started on her right, but last week switched to her left! She doesnt seem like shes in pain, doesnt cry, she just lifts her paw up and limps. Doesnt last all day- just a few times during the day. Took her to the vet twice- first time, they examined her and nothing! No reaction to anywhere they touched her. They gave me antiflamatory and told me to keep her rested. I went back to vet yesterday and saw a different doctor, same thing. She mentioned xrays would cost about(###) ###-####bc they need to put her down and need to take pictures of both legs. Because she wasnt limping, they told me to hold off on the big expense. I feel SO bad for her when she limps and dont know what to do! I went home w more antiflamatory and arthritis meds. I dont know how long is TOO long for something like this.....ūüėĘ
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, This is Dr. Jess. Not sure if your question was only for Dr. Bruce as you mentioned the name, so if you only wanted to talk to Dr. Bruce, you can let me know and I will remove myself from your question. I just wanted to mention something else you should consider for your dog. One of the more common causes of lameness or limping that moves from one leg to another (we call this shifting leg lameness) is tick borne disease, such as Lyme disease or Ehrlichia. If it is possible that your dog has ever had exposure to ticks you may consider having her tested for these diseases (it is a blood test) before you have x-rays done on her. Just a thought to consider.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi- had her tested for lyme disease and she came back negative. I take her to the vet regularly & she has had all of shots. Anything else you think it could be?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear the lyme disease test was negative. Ehrlichia (another tickborne disease) is still a possibility if you live in an area where the disease is present or more common. You can check the geographic distribution here: http://www.cdc.gov/ehrlichiosis/stats/#geography , so if you have found ticks on her and you live in one of the more commonly affected areas, it might be worth testing for that as well (there is no vaccine against it).

How old is your dog? Has she ever had lameness episodes before recently? Do her toenails look normal? Does she have any other abnormal behaviors when these episodes occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live outside of philadelphia, which looks like its on the lower risk area!
Dog is 10 months old. Toenails look 100% normal-- ive take her to get this checked out twice now and both times, everything checked out normal. Theyve taken her temperature both times too, perfect. Behavior, nothing has changed. Eating, nothing has changed. Shes just as playful as shes always been! Except when her leg hurts, where she just picks it up cries a little and looks at me. When i touch it, i get zero reaction on any areas. I dont know what it is!! Nor her vets!! The time that it has lasted its what worries me....
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Based on her age, and the fact that her lameness has shifted legs and comes and goes, my first suspicion would be a condition called panosteitis, sometimes called "growing pains", just like in children. It is more commonly seen in large breed dogs but can be seen in any dog. Most dogs do outgrow the condition and the treatment is basically anti inflammatory pain medication. If the anti inflammatory alone is not enough, it can be combined with secondary pain medications such as Tramadol or Gabapentin. You can find a detailed description from this website which provides veterinary reviewed information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3238

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay