Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My cavalier had her anal glands emptied last friday but

Customer Question

my cavalier king charles had her anal glands emptied last friday but since last night she is not doing well. She yelps when she starts to move and when I touch her butt. She is very sluggish and moves a few feet and stops and sits.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Who emptied them? A groomer, vet, etc?

What did the discharge look like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Dr. at my vet. She said one side was irritated and the glands were full. I have the vet empty her glands every 5 weeks or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think it is?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on her on signs, I agree that the glands sound irritated or inflamed. This can be a cause/effect type of issue (since inflammation narrows the drainage duct and leads to overfilling of the gland, but overfilling can cause inflammation itself). Therefore, especially if the vet suspected the before, we'd want to have Annie on a dog safe anti-inflammatory. Ideally, we'd want to ring her vet and have them dispense Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, or Previcox. This will reduce her discomfort and these characteristic signs of gland discomfort.

Now just to note, if your vet isn't open just now and she is really struggling you can consider using a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). That said, it is not a great pain relief for them and can cause some stomach upset (not to mention we'd need to delay the start of any of those better options to avoid drug interaction). But it is an option you can give (after food) if she is struggling a lot just now.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )