Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just inadverdantly awakened my 2 yr. old lab/pointer

Customer Question

I just inadverdantly awakened my 2 yr. old lab/pointer mix,(male) and he nipped at me. Is this unusual and should I be concerned. I adopted him when he was 8 weeks old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history, it does sound like you caught your lad by surprise. This is a natural reaction to being startled awake (and not being sure if it is friend or foe doing so), and something even people do when it happens to them. Therefore, in this instance and since this wasn't an aggression motivated behavior, I'd not be worried but advise trying to let him know (ie calling his name, etc) you are near before handling to avoid that surprise and uncharacteristic behavior.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )