Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

A MY dog chewed a AA battery, the battery is in two peices

Customer Question

Customer: A MY dog chewed a AA battery, the battery is in two peices but it looks lit all the material is there, i just gave her 12 oz water with some sodium bicarconate
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: HE chewed up a AA zize battery, but it looks like he didnt digest the metal
i gave him about 12 oz water wixed with some backing soda
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm ready
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does your dog weigh?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Is he currently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dog is a male husky/beagle mix weight about 45 lbs, no vomiting, and he just finished antibiotics. I gave him 4 oz milk and about 12 oz of water with baking soda in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that he chewed on a dead battery
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, as you already know the concern with ingestion of the content of the battery is the possibility of ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract from the acid. Giving him milk was a great idea. I would also start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 1 week. Observe him for the next few days, if he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, etc. have him checked by family veterinarian, otherwise he will be fine. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter