Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a Boston terrier who is 12 years old. He has blood

Customer Question

My dog is a Boston terrier who is 12 years old. He has blood on his anus after BMs . I have been putting pumpkin and probiotic (doggie kind)BID and even stool ease tabs on his food few times per week. His anus looked red and protrudes some . I have tried gently pushing back in with wet cloths, tried gently dabbling blood after BMs , neosporin foam few times per day, changed foods to wholesome good food, no treats, etc etc .... He is still having some bright red blood on anus after going. He has history of mast cell tumors removed twice surgically in past few years. He does have some lumps and bumps on stomach but don't know if it is cancer that at his age he can go through surgery or chemo. He has had other bumps tested in past and came back as lipomas. He has the mind and spirit of a pup and still runs around like crazy though so I would do anything I can . Please any ideas about the anus bleeding? Thank you!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has this been going on?

Have his stools been normal, loose, or diarrhea?

Does he seem to be sore with this?

Any licking/chewing of the region? Any scooting or dragging his bottom on the ground?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

How long has this been going on?

Does he seem to be sore with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem!!! His stools are completely normal , no blood actually in the stool and they are soft but formed. It does not bother him and he doesn't mess with it at all .It only bleeds after a Bm and it's bright red blood. It has been going on for a few months but seems to lately been getting worse (more blood ). Thank you!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Hewing or licking there ever. No scooting. Anal glands seem ok. And it only bothers him when I gently dab the blood so it doesn't get everywhere when he goes inside house after our walk. I try and be so gentle ....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

So just with your mention of dabbing the blood, does it look like it is coming from inside the rectum?

Or from the rectal ring itself? If the external ring, are you seeing sores, ulcers, or lumps there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It Seems to be from outside... His anus looks swollen and protrudes some but it has been getting worse as he has gotten older. It does not bother him ever though. And it's only bright red blood after BM. SOMEtimes a small small scab anus it self but most of time his butt is just protruding some and no scab just kinda reddish. After a BM is wheen the blood is there and it is not a Ton but it does seem to be increasing (used to be just a small small amount when dabbijg it off after a walk, now I have to dab a few times and in past few days it even drips once on way back to house) despite all my efforts of stool softners fiber neopsporin foam on anus changing food etc
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now we do have a few concerns for these signs, though based on your history we can start narrowing our differential list for your lad. Since it sounds to be involving the mucosal edge of the colon (not the actual external rectum), we'd be most concerned about a possible chronic colitis (inflammation of the lower bowel's wall), or a rectal growth or polyp (either at the site of the bleed or pushing enough gut edge out to be vulnerable to the irritating external environment) here.

In this case, you have done well with supportive care but I do have to suggest that it'd be ideal to get his local vet involved at this point. If he is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up. When you do, we'd want his vet to check the anus but also perform a rectal examination. This will help determine if we have any mucosal changes or growths causing this. Otherwise, if we have a chronic inflammation then we may need to use a dog friendly anti-inflammatory to reduce that and give the tissue a chance to heal. Because from your description of the bleeding site, it sounds to just be caught in a situation where it is too inflamed and constantly bombarded to heal. And since we cannot stop him passing feces and giving the tissue a "break," we need to treat the inflammation from the inside our to settle this as best we can for him. But again we also want to be checking to make sure there is nothing else displacing that tissue and putting it at this risk.

All the best,

Dr. B.