Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been throwing up going on four days now drinking

Customer Question

my dog has been throwing up going on four days now drinking water but throwing it back up ,water diaherra
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is Snow?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any blood in the stool?

4- Is he lethargic?

5- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months,75lbs,no blood in stool, not really lethargic, she might have gotten into something
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), etc. to name a few causes. Regardless of the cause if she has been vomiting for 4 days I am really concern about her hydration. I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian to start her on IV fluids, anti emetics, etc. while vet does some testing (xrays and blood work) to try to determine the exact underlying cause of the vomiting and diarrhea. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. So that when you do offer water she is able to keep it down.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and supportive care. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter