Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have a maltese mix who suffer allergies due to flea bites.

Customer Question

I have a maltese mix who suffer allergies due to flea bites. I do everything possible to be rid of fleas but she itches terribly, also licks and chews feet and legs. She is on tavist, 1/4 quarter per day, enalapril maleate 5 mgs., one per day, Lasix 12.5, 1 per per day and apoquel tab 3.6 mg, per day. The apoquel is giving her no relief. The vet used to allow me to give her a dosage of prednisone but with her heart problem, she now doesn't want her to have any. My dog allergy problem get much better during the winter when the fleas die. Do you think she could have a dosage cycle of prednisone and stop the apoquel since it doesn't help anyway? Thank you. -P. Keesee
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I'm sorry for your girl. Allergies and itching can be so miserable. Can you tell me first what you are doing for flea control and what other pets you have in the house.

If you have used the apoquel for at least 2-3 weeks and it is not working, then I would definitely stop it. And if she is miserable I would consider a coarse of Prednisone. Prednisone definitely needs to be used with caution in dogs, meaning using the lowest effective dose, but if the heart disease is controlled it can be used.

The more effective way to control flea allergies is to eliminate flea exposure.... let me know what you are doing for fleas and I'll see if I can give you any hints to improve that also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use both Program flea tablets and also Frontline, using both at the same time. We have no other animals. She weights 28 lbs. I also notice a brownish spread of something near her belly. I have also seen this at the base of her tail.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

The location of her itching definitely points to flea allergy. I would consider changing flea prevention. Frontline has been around for a long time and I definitely have see some resistance to it. Especially in the last week or so. I have some clients that are using it every 2 weeks. I have been switching people to Bravecto. This is a very long acting flea preventative and seems very effective. Ask your veterinarian if they can get it for you or if you can have a prescription to fill online.

Best wishes