Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 10 pound dachshund ate my labs meloxicam, a dose of 3.75

Customer Question

My 10 pound dachshund ate my labs meloxicam, a dose of 3.75 mg. is she going to be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

This is quite a dose for a dog her size. The normal dose is 0.2 mg/kg day one then 0.1 mg/kg daily thereafter and this dose is

10 pounds (4.5 kg) ingesting 3.75 mg= 0.8 mg/kg dose so a four times increased dose

Ideal is to induce vomiting and ensure you are giving 1 tsp 3% hydrogen peroxide to her and walking her around to mix it in her stomach? This can be repeated once if necessary

Please give me one moment to determine the level of concern going from gi upset to kidney changes but I wanted to get this information to you first and foremost

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Per the label:

In a three day safety study, Metacam 5 mg/mL Solution for Injection was administered intravenously to Beagle dogs at 1, 3, and 5 times the recommended dose (0.2, 0.6 and 1.0 mg/kg) for three consecutive days. Vomiting occurred in 1 of 6 dogs in the 5X group. Fecal occult blood was detected in 3 of
6 dogs in the 5X group. No clinically significant hematologic changes were seen, but serum chemistry changes were observed. Serum alkaline phosphatase (ALP) was significantly increased in one IX dog and two of the 5X dogs.

Common signs to watch for:

• Vomiting
  • Bloody vomitus
  • Diarrhea
  • Black-tarry stool
  • Inappetance
  • Lethargy
  • Inappropriate urination or thirst
  • General malaise
  • Abdominal pain
  • Seizures

So the choice if she doesn't vomit is to have her seen at a veterinary er where they can give stronger medication to induce vomiting and coat her intestinal tract with activated charcoal to minimize absorption or monitor at home. If you elect the latter please have her seen regardless by your veterinarian tomorrow to have basic bloodwork and ensure kidney values are stable even if she is acting normal since kidney changes can be normal for several days afterwards and then be very ill...

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 10 minutes if I can assist with any additional questions or clarify anything tonight

If you do not go to the er and she doesn't vomit please make sure she has some food in her stomach and give her pepcid 10 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 3 days to protect her stomach

Please let me know how else I can assist you both

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Maizy to see if she had any issues with the ingestion of the meloxicam? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maizy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman