Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I'm glad that you recognize how toxic this tree can be since all parts of sago palm are considered poisonous. The seeds (nuts) in particular being the most toxic part of the plant but the roots, leaves and trunk are as well.
However, as long as there are no parts of the plant for Vinny to ingest, you don't need to treat the soil. The poisonous aspects of the tree won't be deposited into the soil. But, care should be taken to remove all of the roots.
I hope this helps to reassure you that once all of the tree is gone, then there's no risk of toxicity for Vinny. Deb