Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We just bought a 12 week old female Komondor/Pyradoodle mix.

Customer Question

We just bought a 12 week old female Komondor/Pyradoodle mix. At her first vet visit we were informed that she has shallow knee sockets. She walks fine but runs with both back legs simultaneously. We read that spaying increases the likelihood of future arthritic problems. We have not yet had her knees x-rayed. What general course of action should we take, long term, for our new family member?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hears that Sheba has some problems at such a young age. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Taking an Xray of her hips might be a good idea. If she is "bunny hopping", moving both legs at the same time, I would check her hips and and Xray is the best way to do that. You would be able to see her knees on the xray as well.

Shallow knee sockets might allow her kneecaps to pop on and off more easily, and that can lead to arthritis. If this were my own puppy, I would get a hip Xray or have an Xray done called "Penn Hip" which predicts hip dysplasia in puppies after they are 14 weeks old. Not all vets can do Penn Hip. I had my dog, a breed at risk for hip dysplasia, get Penn Hip Xrays when she was 4 months old. She is dysplastic in one hip, but by keeping her lean, and fit, she is still sound.

Spaying a dog early may increase the risk of some orthopedic problems. You might consider waiting to spay her when she is full grown, and her growth plates have closed and stopped growing. No one knows for sure, but some believe we do see more orthopedic problems in dogs that were spayed or neutered when very young. I waited to spay my dog until she was full grown, but before she went into heat.

If her knees are shallow and/or if her hips show dsyplasia, I would then consult an orthopedic specialist about options. Do you know if her parents were screened for hip dysplasia before being used for breeding?

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Sheba? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I help with anything else?