Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My shepherd began favoring s nd leg. He lets me touch and

Customer Question

My shepherd began favoring his hind leg. He lets me touch and manipulate the leg without discomfort but when touch the pad of his paw, he pulls it away. He will not put pressure on it when he moves to another place. He is not whining or crying. Any suggestions of what may be problem? Thank u
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Moses. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been favoring this leg? Will he put any weight on it at all, or is he going on three legs only?

If the pain is in the pad, it could be an infection in the pad, or one of the metatarsal (foot bones) or toes could be broken. Is there any swelling at all of the foot or toes?

If I could, I would take his rectal temperature (normal is between 101 and 102), check the lymph node in the back of his knee to see if it is enlarged ( if it is, this could be an infection), and would feel every bone and joint in his foot for normal motion and for pain. If an infection, he may need antibiotics. If I could not find an infection, I would consider taking an Xray.

I hope this passes soon, that he just strained or pulled something, but if he continues to not put weight on the foot, he may need medical attention.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Moses? Can help with anything else?