Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We think that my daughters dog was exposed to ace phase pro

Customer Question

We think that my daughters dog was exposed to ace phase pro 75 sp insecticide. She is vomiting, weak, lethargic, my daughter brought her to the vet yesterday and they gave her fluids and meds for vomiting and some kind of can foods. I was dog sitting and Sunday my husband treated for fire ants, we have a lab and she will not go by it, but I am sure my daughters dog did, because of the way she is acting. What else can I do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exposed to acephate pro 75 sp insecticide
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What was the active ingredient in the fire ant product you used?

How is Reno since her vet started treatment? Any more vomiting?

Did they send home any oral medication to treat her with?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

While waiting to hear back from you I have looked into what Reno was actually exposed to.

This is an organophosphate which can be quite dangerous if they ingest enough. That said, her signs actually sound moderate and therefore her vet's treatment has been appropriate. The fluids are what will be flushing the drug out and what will get this out of her system. So, your vet has already done that. In regards ***** ***** so more at home, we just need to keep Reno eating and drinking. So, if her thirst is poor, then do make sure she is being encouraged to drink. You can also offer low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk to tempt her to drink. As well, wet foods and our bland diets (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg) will help get fluids into her.

Otherwise, since she doesn't have any of the overt neurological signs that this chemical can induce, the rest of our treatment would be symptomatic. Now her vet did already treat her vomiting with injectable therapy. Most of these will last 24 hours. Though if she has any lingering nausea signs after that time, then you would want to ring her vet about oral anti-nausea medication (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Zofran) to continue for her. And if she isn't eating for us, then appetite stimulants can also be dispensed.

Overall, Reno's vet has actually done everything we would want to do in a moderate organophosphate toxicity situation. Therefore, you are on the right track. From here, we need to keep her eating and drinking. If you struggle with that, then do phone for those above additional treatments or you could consider having her hospitalized for further IV fluids and injectable symptomatic care as this passed our of her body.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )