Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pup szeeing too i only got it yesterday and its had no

Customer Question

my pup szeeing too i only got it yesterday and its had no jabs i was wondering if i should go vets s get it jabbed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any nasal discharge? If so, what color? From one or both nostrils?

Does he sound congested?

Any appetite loss or lethargy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no discharge yet he still eating and playing a little bit of runny poo but that maybe due to changing over food. he not shivering. generally healthily
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if Gizmo is a new addition, it is always advisable to keep the new dog a week before starting vaccines. This is because we need to make sure he isn't brewing an infection (since we cannot vaccinate a sick dog). And this would be especially advisable if he is sneezing just now, as the stress of this sudden life change may be dampening his immune system and allowing something to gain a foot hold. Of course, while an opportunistic infection (ie viral, bacteria) is the most likely suspect here, we do need to keep a close eye on Gizmo here. If we were to see any one sided nassal discharge with this sneezing, then we'd have to also be suspicious of a possible foreign body (ie grass awn, seed, etc) being caught.

Now in regards ***** ***** here, since he is otherwise healthy, we can try some supportive care to ease that sneeze while we monitor him. To start, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any material that may be accumulating in the nasal passages. Alternatively, you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often dogs don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can make a little ‘steam room’ with him in a small room or big dog carrier with the humidifier near by (you can put a sheet over the crate and humidifier to better focus the steam for him).

As well, you can also use plain saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist, Little Noses) but do avoid anything medicated. To use these, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a dog favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, we do need to tread with care here. It is quite possible this is just a mild nasal irritation but the above are common concerns for this type of situation. Therefore, I would suggest the above supportive care at this point. If he isn't settling or you see snotty or one sided nasal discharge, then we'd want a check with his vet as he may need antibiotics or even a nasal flush if anything is caught.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )