Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Lab mix, approx. 5 years (rescued, so we don't know exact age)

Customer Question

Lab mix, approx. 5 years (rescued, so we don't know exact age) approx. 80 pounds, altered female UTD on shots. Has been constantly scratching, chewing. No sign of fleas. Wants me to scratch above tail, but distresses her if i try to push fur in opposite direction (to check for irritation/ redness)
Vet says allergies, gave her antibiotics, but I can't get her to take them, we've wasted most of antibiotics trying. Benadryl, but I don't like giving her those because they make her drowsy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Libby. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Have you used a good flea product on her? I know you are not be seeing fleas, but the area of the body you describe is where a flea allergic dog is often most sensitive, and when a dog has become sensitized to fleas and flea bites, it only takes one or two bites to set them off scratching, and it is hard to find one or two fleas on an 80 pound dog. Using a good flea product (Frontline, which I like because it is not absorbed into the blood stream or body, Nexgard, Soresto collar) is the first thing I would do if this were my own dog. Using over the counter "generic" products do not work as well. The veterinary dermatologists tell us that 80% of itchy dogs have fleas as at least part of the problem, so that is the first thing they recommend. I can't tell you how many itchy dogs that I have seen over my 30 years have stopped itching with a single dose of Frontline even though I could not find fleas on the dog. Other things that help seasonal allergies: Claritin (nondrowsy antihistamine; 5 to 10 mg once daily); nettles, quercetin, probiotics, fish oil, anti oxidants. There is a really exciting new medication for itchy dogs that is by prescription. It is called Apoquel and is not a steroid. You could ask your veterinarian about it. Have her anal glands been checked? Dogs that are itchy around the base of the tail sometimes have infected or impacted anal glands. Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Libby? Can I help with anything else?