Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy had a steroid shot yesterday and now he is peeing

Customer Question

My puppy had a steroid shot yesterday and now he is peeing every hour all night. I'm exhausted, and now I also can't kennel him when I'm at work. How long will this last?
The shot was due to swollen glands/nodes on his face that were getting worse. She thinks it was from teething but we are waiting on lab results from a needle aspiration.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, that is a common side effect of steroids and there isn't any treatment that can counter this. The duration is going to be ~2-3 days post the injection's effect. If your vet used a short acting steroid injection, then we should see this settle within the next few days. But be warned that if they used a preparation that lasts a week or longer, we could see this for a longer period of time. Therefore, you would want to ring the vet to check which was used with Rocky to assess that. Otherwise, you may need to restrict him to a non-carpeted room with puppy pads down when you are sleeping or at work, to minimize potential house damage but to also ensure he isn't sitting in urine (and getting urine scald of his skin) while you are away. Finally, I do have to note that you should not give into the temptation of limiting his water (as many people mistakenly do), since this could actually do more harm and risk dehydration if you did.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. 2-3 days is not bad since he goes to puppy day care 2 out of the next 3 days. Would it be fine to only limit the water in the evening so I can sleep?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That's good to hear that he will be somewhere where he can be managed with these short term effects.

And while I know that sleep is important, I really wouldn't limit the water even at bedtime. He needs to keep drinking to replenish the fluids he is losing in his urine and being so young he will have a reduced body reserve. So, its just a bit risky to do that. So, it just isn't advisable but you could try using ice cubes to at least slow his drinking and potentially reduce his need to go overnight.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you! :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best to you both with those upcoming results,

Dr. B.