Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (10 year old Rottweiler/Chow) was having problems

Customer Question

My dog (10 year old Rottweiler/Chow) was having problems with rheumatism and used Rimadyl 100. Last Sunday I saw that he was having trouble to walk. The next morning he were just laying there on his side, totally unable to move his behind quarter. At that stage he was still having control over his bladder. I immediately took him to our nearest vet (50 miles). The vet could not find anything and said that it could be due to pain. He gave him an pain injection as well as a 4 day treatment with Preniselone 5mgx4tablets once a day. He was having trouble to eat but I gave him raw ox liver which he actually ate. It is now 8 days later and he is still not able to walk although he can stand for a few seconds on his back legs. Three days his urine became bloody and when checked, there were blood, protein and leukocytes in the urine. My local pharmacist gave me a course of antibiotics but from yesterday there is a fresh blood watery fluid coming out from his anus and he do not want to eat at all.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Has he had any retching, gagging, lip licking, or vomiting? If he has vomited, any blood or brown material?

Any black stool since this started?

Are his gums or inner eyelids pink or pale/white?

If you press on his belly, is he tender, tense, or painful when you do so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he had not vomited and his stool were a bit blackish and smelly yesterday but just before I left for work he passed a stool and although a bit soft, it was of normal colour and smell. His gums and eyelids is a bid pale and he is drinking a lot of water although he do not really want to eat.
I shift his behind regularly to the other side to prevent pressure sores and I also keep my hands under his tummy, supporting him and then he walk on his front legs outside to the garden and he haven't shown any pain during this but he started to make this crying sounds from last night (O, I forgot to mention that his voice is also almost gone. He struggle to make barking sounds) . His urine had become overnight a lot more bloody. He had been castrated about 2 years back.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I have to say that I am very concerned about Butch.

His lack of appetite, blood from rectum, black stool (which is digested blood), and pale gums (a sign of blood loss) really raise concerns that we may have a stomach +/- GI ulceration here. This is likely secondary to his Rimadyl but the steroids could make this worse. And just to note, if he is on steroids, these can dampen the immune system and that could be why we suddenly have a suspect bladder infection.

In this case, we do need to tread with care. If he is off his food then this can actually make stomach ulcers worse (since the stomach acid will be "chewing" on the wall instead of food). Therefore, I would strongly advise ringing his vet now about starting him on anti-nausea medication, gastroprotectants (ie Carafate), and gut safe pain relief (ie Bupenorphine, Tramadol). If you have any delay in getting them to do so, you can consider starting him on an antacid like:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

These can be given every 12 hours and usually 30 minutes before food. Once this is on board, we want to tempt him to eat and can try him with small frequent meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled white fish, scrambled egg, chicken, or cottage cheese). Or if he still refuses, then we'd need to start syringe feeding. To do so, you can use a veterinary diet (ie Hills A/D, Clinicare, etc) or even water down wet puppy food to do so. We just need to break his fast and get him eating both so he has energy to get up but also to help protect his stomach.

Overal, Butch sounds to have severe arthritis that makes it hard for him to get around. That said, his current signs really raise serious concerns of a stomach ulcer and that plus his anorexia and blood loss will be making him feel weak. So, we need to act fast and address this for him to give him the best chance of recovering here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)