Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2 week old puppy has a bloated hard stomach it just had

Customer Question

My 2 week old puppy has a bloated hard stomach it just had diahrrea again after her burp. it just got done eating and took the bottle super fast. We did switch formales what are your thoughts
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What does the diarrhea look like?

Did you wean him over to the new formula or just do a quick swap?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a auick swap and once my wife wakes up i can find out what the poop looked like. Should i mix the formaula together and give it to her that way
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now that is not ideal to make any quick swaps with puppy milk replacers. This is because that change will throw off the normal gut microflora population and that is likely why we have diarrhea and gas build up causing bloating. So, always use slow weaning whenever you are in a situation like this.

Otherwise, in this case, I would highly advise giving this little one a small dose of a canine probioitic/kaolin combination treatment (ie Fast Balance, Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, Bene-bac, Canikur, etc). These are OTC at most vets, pet stores, and can even be purchased on Amazon. The Kaolin will slow the diarrhea and reduce fluid loss. The probiotics will help restore normal gut function and should settle things here. Of course, further to this, you may need to use Pedialyte to counter any fluid losses from the diarrhea. But this would be our main treatment focus in a situation like this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Justin Beal. How is everything going?
nekovet