Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I'm wondering how I could determine if my dog has a ear

Customer Question

I'm wondering how I could determine if my dog has a ear infection or ear mites? It's only in his right ear, it's red and kinda swollen, it also looks like dried blood in his ear. He shakes his head a lot and I've seen him scratch it a lot too. I was also wondering if it would be safe to give him penicillin v potassium 500mg? Please email me back as soon as possible. I also have a picture of his ear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Maximus's ears. I am happy to help you this evening. The best way to determine is to have him seen by your vet. Your vet will take ear swabs and look under the microscope for mites and do special slides to determine if there are bacteria or yeast in his ears also. This will determine exactly what the infection is and then your vet can prescribe appropriate medications to treat whatever is going on. There is no reason to give penicillin. It will not be of any benefit even if a bacterial infection is present in the ears. The infection in the ears have to be treated with topical medications unfortunately. Oral or injections do not work. So i would not recommend this. You can sometimes see the mites yourself if you take a q-tip and swab just the inside of the ear (do not go deep as you will damage the ear) and then take a magnifying glass and look at the debris. You can often times see little tiny white dots moving on the swabs. These are ear mites. The problem with this method is that you will not know if there is also yeast or bacteria as there is commonly multiple types of infection in the ear.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Haylee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maximus. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead