Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 14 yr old toy poodle suddenly starts to have a heavy

Customer Question

My 14 yr old toy poodle suddenly starts to have a heavy heartbeat and her legs collapse so she falls. Her eyes are open and confused. My vet did not think it was Afib. What is it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Fahle is sick. When she has these episodes, does she appear to lose consciousness? Does she lose control of her urine or bowels?

Based on your history, I would wonder about either seizures, partial or grand-mal, or a heart arrhythmia such as a heart block or fibrillation that is short lasting.

The best way to diagnose these problems is first with a video of the episodes so your vet can what is happening and second with an EKG. Your regular veterinarian can perform a short lasting one in their hospital, but there are also Holter monitors for dogs that fit in a vest and will give a 24hr reading of the heart activity.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Fahle this evening? Any more episodes of collapse? Do you have any more questions for me? Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fahle. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda