Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Help I have 4 german shepard pups that are 4 months old..two

Customer Question

help I have 4 german shepard pups that are 4 months old..two of them are throwing up blood being very mellow..they try to eat and drink..the other 2 seem fine..i did feed them all a bunch of leftover human food when they ran out of puppy food..it was only one meal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all 4 have stayed together all the time..the mom was with them before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your puppies are sick. I am sorry, but I won't be able to chat on the phone, as restrictions on my medical license prohibit this. I am happy to chat with you as long as you need until your questions are answered.

When your puppies vomit, is it frank, dark red blood or is it more a pink foamy appearance? Have your puppies been fully vaccinated for parvo? How often are they vomiting? Is there any diarrhea?

Do you have a regular veterinarian or animal emergency room that you can take them to?

Possible causes for the vomiting include dietary indiscretion (eating something they shouldn't, this includes the human food they received), parvo or other viruses and intestinal parasites.

For tonight, I would withhold food from the puppies that are vomiting. They can have small amounts of water (about 1/4 cup) once every 30 minutes. I would also give them a Tums 500mg once and also Pepcid AC at 0.5mg per pound.

If they are still vomiting in the morning or if they develop diarrhea over night, you will need to take them to their vet.

If you see any of the following signs, you will strongly need to consider taking them to the ER tonight:

vomiting with frank blood (vs pink foam)

diarrhea with blood in it

distended or painful abdomen

pale gums

weakness

fever (normal temperature is 100.5 to 102.5)

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, how are your puppies this evening? Any more vomiting or diarrhea? Do you have any more questions for me? Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda