Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a female German Shepard, about 15yo, has not been

Customer Question

I have a female German Shepard, about 15yo, has not been feeling well lately, will only eat if I'm near by. She had wet her inside bed more than once in the last week. Just now noticed she wet herself while lying outside and didn't move. What's up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The leaking urine is unfortunately quite common in senior spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

As for the reduced appetite it can potentially be related to her age as well or something that needs to be addressed with some basic bloodwork or antacids such as pepcid to help settle her stomach so coaxing is not necessary...

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am signing off in just a few moments...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!