Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 16 year old Golden retriever got an infection behind and

Customer Question

My 16 year old Golden retriever got an infection behind and surrounding elbow. I iced it often for two days, gave him two weeks of cipro twice a day. The infection drained some and the swelling went away. I also used a topical of neo-predef
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am a little concerned about the use of the cipro in your dog so first and foremost can you please tell me his weight and the mg you are administering twice daily?

Ciprofloxacin can cause issues with dogs that have any underlying kidney or liver changes but is also known to increase risk of crystal formation in the urine. The dose is approximately 20 mg/ kg daily or 10 mg/kg twice daily but should be reduced in dogs with liver/ kidney changes

In addition, in his age dogs often will lose muscling and can end up with hygroma's or sores on their elbows from laying on harder surfaces (or in some cases even soft surfaces) for long periods of time. I can give you one option to protect the elbows but with the increased water intake, drainage, swelling it would likely be best to have your veterinarian evaluate him to ensure there is nothing else going on effecting his kidney or liver function, especially with him being on rimadyl as well...

CLICK HERE for a link on a covering of the elbows to reduce risk of these areas becoming irritated again

I will await any further information you can provide or additional questions you may have

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!