Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have 2 litters of pups - 1 week apart - 5 & 6 weeks of age

Customer Question

I have 2 litters of pups - 1 week apart - 5 & 6 weeks of age - they have been getting outside in a pen in my yard (I breed Shelties) - no other dogs have been in this area - last night, 3 started vomitting a slimy mucas and had bloody diarrhea - lethargic - colour ok but does not come back quickly when depress gums temp. is about 100.4. they are drinking water - no diarrhea since 6 this a.m. but still vomitting - a little shivering - made sure under a lamp - not too hot, just a bit of warmth. Gave a bit of pepto - have since thrown most of that up. I do have Tylocin 50 mg. here - safe to give some? is there something else I can do for them?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppies. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Tylosin is good for some types of diarrhea, but will not help with vomiting. If given to a puppy that has been vomiting, it will probably be vomited back up (like the Pepto) and not do much good.

You can try famotidine (Pepcid) for vomiting: 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet once every 12 to 24 hours.

I am worried about the color not coming back right away when you depress the gums. I have to ask: any chance this could be parvo virus?

I would have a stool sample examined microscopically for parasites and worms.

Good they are drinking. You can offer Pedialyte and broth as well as water, if they can keep it down. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How are the puppies? Can I help with or answer anything else?