Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog chews s feet.My husband believe vinegar soaks help.

Customer Question

My dog chews his feet.My husband believe vinegar soaks help. Please give me any tips. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does he chew all his feet or just one? How long has he done so?

Are you seeing any sores, ulcers, pimples, or skin changes on the feet?

Any diet changes in the 6 weeks prior to onset of the chewing?

Do his feet have an odor? If so, what do they smell like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He chews all of his feet. No sores or eruptions.no change in diet.no odor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked about chewing feet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You have and I am actually in the midst of typing my reply with treatment plan. So, I will post again shortly.

Thank you for being patient,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now soaking the feet in vinegar can act to reduce bacterial or yeast populations of the feet and can potentially provide temporary soothing of skin irritation. That said, its effects do not tend to be long term, so we'd need to soak them quite often. Furthermore, it would not address our main suspect here, a contact allergy. Just to note, this could be related to anything his feet are in contact with from carpet powders, household chemicals, to pollens or grass.

Therefore, in cases like this, it is advisable to trial him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if he is chewing them severely, then we'd want to speak to his vet about stronger options (ie steroids, Atopica, Apoquel) to manage the irritation driving this behavior.

Overall and in regards ***** ***** question, we can use vinegar here. Still, you would be better to do so at least in combination with an antihistamine to tackle the root of his irritation to give him proper relief.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember torate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)