Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our golden doodle threw up a lot this morning... She has

Customer Question

Our golden doodle threw up a lot this morning... She has been lazy all day not eating ... She is drinking water ... I have followed her out side and she is trying to go poop but can't and tried throwing up and she doesn't have anything but Water..: sweet girl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Piper is sick. First, how old is Piper? Has she had all of her vaccines? Have you taken her temperature? Does she have a fever? Also, How much does she weigh, so I can make some recommendations for medications.

Dogs, especially young ones, can vomit for many reasons, but the most common one is dietary indiscretion (eating something she shouldn't). The offending item could already be gone from her intestines but the irritation remains. She could have also eaten something that has blocked her intestines and now she is obstructed. Other causes of vomiting and diarrhea in young dogs includes infection with a virus like Parvo or intestinal parasites.

For tonight, I would recommend the following things-

1) Pepcid (famotidine) give 0.5mg per pound of dog, rounded up to the nearest 1/4 tablet size. You may need to force the pill down her throat.

2) Tums- 500mg or one tablet.

3) Offer only small amounts (1/2 cup) of water once every 30 minutes

4) withhold all food tonight

5) In the morning, try food again, like boiled chicken and rice

If there is no more vomiting tonight, she can wait until the morning to see your regular veterinarian. They will likely recommend blood work, x-rays, a fecal and possibly a parvo test.

If she continues to vomit tonight or if she has a fever, I would strongly consider taking her to your local animal emergency room this evening.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Piper this evening? Any more vomiting? Did you end up taking her to the vet today?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating my answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda