Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog has swelling under her right eye
, This morning

Customer Question

Customer: My dog has swelling under her right eye
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This morning when I woke up there was a marble size swelling under her eye. Its red and wet.
I tried putting a warm compress on it but she won't allow it
She is playing eat sleeping normally
but half of her eye is closing from the bottom up ( where the swelling is)
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok I will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The picture is not super clear, but I can see the location of the swelling. In that region the most common cause of swelling (usually mildly to moderately painful) is a tooth root abscess. The roots of the upper teeth extend upward the infection tends to move up under the eye like that. Do you know if your dog has bad teeth? Other potential causes include any kinds of bite wounds (insects, snakes, etc), but that would be less likely.

Warm compressing can help, but it isn't surprising that she won't let you. If this is a tooth root abscess, ultimately the only fix is to pull the infected tooth. If she is comfortable now, then just monitor her, but take her to a veterinarian ASAP so they can check her teeth and proceed from there.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has bad teeth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She only has one front tooth left
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Did the teeth fall out or were they extracted by a veterinarian?

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fell out. When I adopted her about 10 years ago she about 3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now she has one. She doesn't let me brush it
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

If they fell out then there is likely a piece of a tooth root left behind from one of the teeth that fell out. She will need some antibiotics and X-rays to see if the root need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the liquid where you add one cap to the water, but the she wouldn't drink the water. they got progressively worse
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

They may find multiple pieces of tooth root left behind. Treating them could be a big ordeal, but the abscessed one needs to be taken care of at a minimum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes.