Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11 year old male maltese has become lethargic, seems to

Customer Question

My 11 year old male maltese has become lethargic, seems to favor his right front leg and when he stands or walks his back is humped up. Happened very quickly following normal active play behavior. Just completed 1000 mile car trip with normal appetite and activity. Sleeping continously with rapid breathing (50/ min).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

If you press down along his back firmly while keeping his abdomen supported, does he seem painful or uncomfortable?

What about moving his neck up and down and from side to side as far as it will go (should be able to touch nose to side)?

Do any of his joints on his right front limb seem painful when you flex and extend them (including toes)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pain when pressing on back but strong resistance to flexing down. Head flexes ok in all directions although he resist somewhat when flexing neck to right, no pain responce just resistance. All joints flexed without whining but right leg is very stiff when I lift it with pressure under his paw. Left leg very loose and flexible. A friend says she moved a chair which he was lying next to and he yelped. He does not limp when walking but seems to hump up his back like a cat. Although fine for several years he has history of auto immune issues. Current symptems not consistant with those formerly associated with this.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. When you say "strong resistance to flexing down", are you referring to his neck?

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Or are you referring to trying to press the hunched area in his back down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Site will not accept my phone number. It is XXXXXXXX and I would like you to call me and I authorize the additional $18
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. My family had just came home, and I had to help my wife. I am not set up to do phone calls, but I can opt out to see if there is another Expert willing to do them.