Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have a lactating who has had diarrhea and acute vomiting

Customer Question

I have a lactating bitch who has had diarrhea and acute vomiting for 2 days. Diarrhea is no more but about every 2 ro 3 hours bile is thrown up. I had her to the vet as I was worried about eclampsia but all blood work is good and her calcium levels were right in the normal range of 9.6. I trust my vet but wonder if this is just something she injected on the field we were walking in or a bug and nor related to nursing at all. She had an appetite last night and ate supper regularly but Roda she's not even interested in drinking water. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

While it is certainly possible that this is some kind of stomach upset or bug, I think that is unlikely. Any illness in the first few weeks after giving birth is most likely directly related to lactation or the uterus. I would be very proactive in finding the underlying cause because if she continues to be ill, especially if she is not drinking, she will stop producing milk.

Besides the bloodwork, what tests did the veterinarian run? Did he palpate all the mammary glands closely and take her temperature to make sure she doesn't have mastitis? Metritis (inflammation in the uterus) could also cause vomiting and decreased appetite/drinking/energy level. Did you veterinarian do an ultrasound of the abdomen to check how the uterus looks and make sure no puppies were left behind when she delivered? Did he do a vaginal swab to look for signs of infection/inflammation. A fecal evaluation is also indicated because some parasites are more common after having puppies... such as giardia.

If all these tests look normal then maybe this is just intestinal upset. There are a number of drugs that can be used during lactation safely. Even something simple like Pepcid A/C can help. Doing nothing is the wrong approach. I would take her temperature, try to get her to drink some dilute chicken broth and consider taking her back to the veterinarian for a better evaluation.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions let me know.

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did take temp and Palpatate the uterus.....all normal. No ultrasound was done. I tried to get her to drink broth and she wont
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Metritis can't be diagnosed on palpation, it requires ultrasound. But usually they run at least a little bit of a fever. I would monitor her temperature pretty closely because that can be the first sign of a problem.

The only thing that I can recommend over the counter is Pepcid A/C (famotadine). She can have one tablet every 12 hours. This can help with stomach upset, but I am really concerned that this is more than stomach upset. I would consider taking her back to the vet if she isn't improving pretty quickly or if she has any fever.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you! I will phone the vet again if she hasn't drank. She hasn't vomited bile in over 2 hours now which is pretty good comparing to what she was doing before. I don't think I can get pepcid ac as nothing is open here. I will phone the vet. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes!!!!