Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Westie was trying to jump on a bench to get to my bed. He

Customer Question

My Westie was trying to jump on a bench to get to my bed. He hit his left side on the bench and fell back. He now can't put any weight on left rear leg. I don't know if it is his hip or leg. He is certainly limping. He is 12 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he fall?

Can he put any weight (even for a moment) on this leg?

Does he seem to be holding it up on purpose? Or does the leg look shorter or like he cannot put it down?

Any bruising, swelling, boney crunching, or instability when you move/press on this leg?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning about 5 hours ago. He is walking but trying not to put wright on it. When he urinated he tried to lift right leg but couldnt support and peed w both legs down . He is not whimpering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We are, I am just in the midst of typing a full reply.

I will post that shortly,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clarifying that for me,

The reason I asked about the specific way he is using this leg is because hip dislocations are an urgent situation. That said, as long as he can physically put the leg down (even if he doesn't want to), then that is thankfully less of a concern here. So, while we'd still have to be wary of damage to the knee ligaments, our biggest concern here is that he is sore from bruising and a possible muscle strain/sprain from the fall.

In that case, our treatment plan at this point would be strict rest (so no jumping, furniture or stairs, only short walks on the lead to do his business and then back to resting) and we could use a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) here. This should be given after food and you can also protect his stomach from aspirin irritation by pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))

Furthermore, you can massage or warm compress the areas he fell on. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).

Overall, I am glad to hear we don't have an urgent hip dislocation. Therefore, in this case, I would suggest the above while closely monitoring Jackson. And of course, if he isn't showing positive progress with our home care over the weekend, then we'd want a check with his vet to make sure his knee ligaments are intact and so that strong dog safe anti-inflammatories can be dispensed for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i send a video of him walking to you?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You sure can. To do so though, since we cannot exchange direct email, it'd be best to post it on a website like YouTube and then posting the link here for me to follow.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jackson. How is everything going?
nekovet