Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am in need of assistance or guidance upon waking this

Customer Question

Good Afternoon I am in need of assistance or guidance
upon waking this morning and taking my dogs outside for potty time I noticed that my 4 1/2 almost 5 year old pug had one of his eye balls literally popping out of the socket! I have never in my life (and I am 32 years old and a mother of three young boys) seen anything so disturbing not to mention personally feeling utter confusion and helplessness! As a responsible pet owner, I am sure you can understand that a family pet is more than just a pet, their a part of your family, and in our family we don't even refer to the stereotype referencing on our fur babies as "PETS"! In our family their all our fur babies! So briefly explaining the current situation to you, my pug is male, he is neutered, completely current on all vaccines including rabies, and has routine dental maintenance and health check ups similar to that of my three young children being routinely checked out yearly/yearly physical. He is in perfect health condition and has always been very healthy! there were absolutely no signs or symptoms as of last night that could explain him waking up with his eye ball popping out of the socket. I went online and researched what to do, and found this is a common condition in pugs and called eye proptosis. I also read that I should use saline water in a sterile spray bottle and spray his eye ball to prevent it from drying out. He does not show any signs of distress or discomfort, in fact its almost as if he has no idea his eyeball is out of its socket! Along with the definition I found on line and the recommendations on keeping it from drying out, I came across an illustration and step by step instructions on pushing the eye ball back into the socket if emergency vet care in not available or more than an hour away from my residence. PLEASE HELP ME!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about what happened to Blue. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The longer his eyeball is proptosed, the less chance that he will keep vision in that eye. He needs to see a veterinarian, have the eye put back in, and have his eyelids sewed closed to keep it in for awhile. Today would be best. Tomorrow might be OK, but there is less of a chance that he will be able to see out of the eye.

I might consider going to one of the emergency clinics as a walk in, and just staying there until they see him. If that is not possible, I would be at your regular vet office as soon as they open. Keep the eye moist with salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 pint of water) gently poured onto the eye, or applying artificial tears to the eye every few hours ( you can get artificial tears at a pharmacy).

You can try gently pushing it back in, as you saw online, but if it has been out for more than an hour or so, it may just pop back out. That is why we sew the eyelids closed for a few days after replacing the eye.

I am sorry this happened. As horrifying as it is to you, it is all too common in this and other "bug eyed" breeds. I hope you can find a vet to help you today, or first thing tomorrow. Let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sincerely ***** ***** quick response in providing me with such amazing advice that was incredibly easy to understand, as I am sure you can relate over your years of being a veterinarian having to explain medical procedures etc to pet owners in a way that is educational and comforting!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Can I help with anything else? I sure wish I were there to pop this back in, and put some stitches in his eyelids! Hope you get him help soon.

Please let me know how he is doing. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I am not able to have Blue seen by an emergency clinic today!! While waiting for a reply to my question I contacted 4 more emergency clinics within 150 miles radius from my home, and I only was able to get through to 3 different clinics out of the 6 clinics I called. one telling me that they are completely booked and next availability to have Blue seen wasn't until the 25th of this month even though I thoroughly explained his current condition. They referred me to another clinic and upon speaking with a receptionist at that clinic and explaining the condition of my dogs eye, she informed me that based on the explanation I provided her that they would not even consider examining him without a minimum payment of $1,600.00!! And realistically, I just don't have those funds available in my checking account and if I did trust me I would not be online right now, I would be in transit to this clinic! I even asked about payment options etc and I was appalled at the lack of consideration and sincerity this lady had towards my feelings regarding this unexpected situation!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand you mentioned a procedure performed to correct this medical condition..and that was explained by popping the eye back into place and then using a few stitches to close the eye lid for a few weeks to allow the eye ball to heal, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a general question regarding that specific procedure you explained to me if you don't mind my asking?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear you can't get him the help he needs on an emergency basis. This makes me sad to hear.

Yes, depending on how the eye looks when I saw him, I would try putting it back in, and sewing his eyelids closed for awhile, leaving an opening so you could apply medication to the eye. I will be happy to answer any questions you have, that I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this procedure require sedation? And when I say sedation, I am referring to the sedation method used for major surgeries or for example some individuals refer to this sedation as going under, or being put to sleep and vitals monitored? Or is this a simpler procedure that does not require the sedation methods used in major surgical procedures? I guess in a sense I am wanting to know if I have an option to choose from, one option being put to sleep and vitals monitored, and second option being a conscious sedation where a veterinarian would administer medications either orally or through injection that would allow my dog to remain awake and breath on his own however comfortable and a little loopy to where he is relaxed enough for the procedure to be completed safely without running the additional risks or complications associated with full sedation methods of putting a dog completely under?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ms. Rebecca I am forever grateful for all your time and consideration in listening to my questions and concerns and providing reassuring answers.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes you do need to sedate him. You can't use sharp instruments like needles around the eyes of a dog that is awake and moving, to sew the eye closed. Sometimes we have to make the eyelid opening larger, to get the eye back in. You can't do this without sedation or anesthesia.

You are welcome. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's amazing how I am able to receive such amazing medical advice online versus receiving absolutely nothing closely related to the care in local vet clinics personally
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is what this service, and I, am for! I just ask that you rate my answer, so the website knows I helped you. But, you can keep asking questions and let me know how Blue is doing, after giving a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you again for your time I greatly appreciate all your help. If I need to provide him with additional comfort for any reasoning until hes seen by his vet tomorrow, what do you recommend I give him? I know that Tylenol and motrin are a definite NO NO in the medications approved for dogs. I know Benadryl is acceptable to use in dogs for seasonal allergies or itchy skin etc. And also aspirin I was informed is ideal for providing k9's with pain relief from a bee sting along with the use of Benadryl to prevent allergic reaction to bee sting. And lastly when Blue was neutered they prescribed him a medication for pain that I have seen or heard of in use of humans called tramadol or ultram? I do not have either one of the last two medications as I believe that is a prescribed medication needing a physician to prescribe it. But aspirin is over the counter as well as Benadryl. I will go to the pharmacy now to get artificial tears and alternate between the salt water you recommended and the artificial tears. But since I am running out to the pharmacy for that I was wondering what else you might recommend as an approved medication I can pick up that's over the counter to have on hand in case needed?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, no Tylenol or Motrin. How much does he weigh? You could give a baby aspirin for 15 to 20 pounds of body weight, with food, once to twice daily.

You can give tramadol (Ultram), 1/4th to 1/2 of a 50 mg tablet. It can be given with aspirin.

You can give Benadryl to dogs, but since this is not an allergy problem, an antihistamine is probably not going to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much! I greatly appreciate your help with everything. I will keep you posted later on if in the event he takes a turn for the worse in which I am praying he doesn't! And I will weigh him for his accurate weight and dosage on aspirin if needed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Hope I earn a good rating for you (otherwise I am not credited by the website for helping you).

Please let me know how he is doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will most definitely rate my overall experience with you today and in my eyes they don't offer enough stars for the advice and comfort you provided!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are too kind!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Blue doing?

I see you never did rate me! I am only compensated for the time I spent with you, if you rate me, so I was not paid for helping you. I hope you and Blue are doing well, and that you still consider rating my answer.