Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give a dog azo?

Customer Question

can I give a dog azo?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I assume Winkie has a urinary tract infection? on that basis I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Unfortunately this drug is not suitable for treating urinary tract infections in dogs. Azo standard has phenazopyridine as the active ingredient. In dogs this drug can cause serious side effects including liver damage and muscle damage, this drug is best avoided in dogs.

2. Urinary tract infections in female dogs often respond well to antibiotics but until you can get to the vet I can tell you that I am aware that lots of owners use cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in pet stores which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to.

It would also be good to encourage your dog to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Winkie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Azo ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.