Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog's poo started looking black last evening. This

Customer Question

Customer: My dog's poo started looking black last evening. This morning, his poo is entirely black and very firm. The amount is also small compared to his usual. He tried to swallow fish still attached on a fish hook on Friday morning by the beach. I managed to retrieve it from his mouth but can't be sure what might have swallowed. Friday evening, he went swimming in the sea for all of 1 min when he got swap away by a current and I dived in to retrieve him. We've fed him his normal carrot in the morning and Burns dry food. What should I do? I'm terribly concerned. He seems normal.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dave is 6 years old. A ***** *****.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, please.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you give me an idea how long I have wait?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any change in his appetite? Any vomiting, gagging, retching, lip licking or grass eating since the black stool?

Any chance he has been eating dirt or anything darkly pigmented?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?