Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is gagging. He is eating fine but I took m walk with

Customer Question

My dog is gagging. He is eating fine but I took him for a walk with a harness and he is gagging. Nothing coming out and no liquid coming up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your signs, we do have a few concerns. If he is gagging with no change to his appetite and no vomiting, then this is most suspicious of irritation/inflammation of the trachea or esophagus or low grade nausea. In regards ***** ***** inflammation, we can see this with kennel cough, parainfluenza, viral or bacterial tracheitis. In regards ***** ***** esophagus, esophagitis from eating something abrasive to the throat and acid reflux are the most common causes for esophagitis. And for nausea, anything that could trigger GI upset would be a considering.

With all this in mind and since he is otherwise well, I would suggest some supportive care. To ease the throat irritation, we could give him a few milliliters of plain honey or honey/glycerin cough syrup to soothe the throat. Alternatively, since we have esophageal and nausea concerns, you could try an antacid. Specifically, we could use one like Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac); though I would suggest a liquid one being best since it will coat the throat as it goes down. Therefore, you could try him with milk of magnesia (0.5-1 tsp every 8 hours) to try and reduce these signs for him. As well, soft foods would also be ideal here for ease on his throat. Of course, if they don't settle and he continues to gag despite our use of supportive care over the rest of this weekend, then we'd want to plan to his vet examine him as we may need further treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-inflammatories) to just nip this in the bud for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember torate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)