Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 10 week old puppy. He has a vough but doesnt cough

Customer Question

I have a 10 week old puppy. He has a vough but doesnt cough anything up. Then about once a day he will cry out and act real weird for about 30 sec and sometimes pee himself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe how does he act weird when he cries and urinates?

2- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know if the 2 things are conected or not. Im concerned that he could be having seizures but didnt think he would cry out from them. He weighs 5lbs and was the runt of the litter. Most of the times he just stretches out his head when he cries out and lays there as he pees and doesnt seem to notice. but tonight he jumped up and tried to run across the bed but 1 leg wasnt working and his eyes were rolled back but he didnt pee this time.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the cough you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, he has a dog cold. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacteria. He may need oral antibiotics from your family veterinarian. In the meantime start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/4 of a teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging.

As far as the crying/urinating episodes, you are right, it does sound like he is seizing. Crying is very common before, during or after a seizure. In a puppy a very common condition that would cause him to seizure is a liver shunt. I would highly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian to rule out a liver shunt.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a liver shunt? How is it diagnosed and treated?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Basically this is when there is a vessel that is bypassing the liver going directly into the systemic circulation. It is diagnosed by doing a special type test called a Bile Acids. In addition, your vet may need to do an abdominal ultrasound. As far as treatment, if it is single shunt he would need surgical correction. You should know that there are many other causes for seizures. But, the first place to start would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian and some blood work.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about L Dawson. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter