Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog Maggie is a 5 year old Yorkie. She has been vomiting

Customer Question

My dog Maggie is a 5 year old Yorkie. She has been vomiting (yellow/white foamy) and has diarrhea today. I also notice small bruises on her stomach
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- How long has she had the bruises? Are they bothering her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been vomiting and had diarreah on and off for 2 days. It is mostly in the morning. She has not gotten into anything. The small bruises have been on her stomach for about a week now but do not seem to be bothering her.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a big girl- 11lbs. Her gums are pretty and pink.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. As far as the bruising, this could be related to a completely different problem like: Trauma, localized infections, etc. Less likely we can see bruising of the skin with certain systemic diseases like thrombocytopenia (decrease platelets). For this reason I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter