Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has allergies, what can I use to stop m from biting s

Customer Question

My dog has allergies, what can I use to stop him from biting his legs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I will give you a list of things to do for Junior to help with his allergies but if there is any discharge, oozing, or no improvement with the recommendations then please seek veterinary attention to control his symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the areas he is most itchy then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. For his breed 750 mg EPA & DHA daily but this will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas he is chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent him from ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am signing off for the night but will respond in the morning if I miss you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Priscilla Evans,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Junior. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman