Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Bichon Frise cross. he has a sore on s thick tail that he

Customer Question

Bichon Frise cross. he has a sore on his thick tail that he keeps chewing on and opening to make it bleed. He has been to our local Vet. and was doing very well, but now today he chewed it and has it bleeding. Can I treat it myself? Such as pooring Peroxide over it. Or could I use using Neosporin or Bacitracin? I have him in the big cap so he could not lick it. He is happy, playful, and eating when I take the cap off. I fond this address looking through my PC. My Vet is closed and I would have to drive quite a way to emergency care. Thank you If you have any suggestion
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Danny is having this issue. The antibiotic injection which was given is certainly one which I'd use for a smaller dog and is effective against infected sores or wounds. I personally haven't found products such as Chew Guard to be very effective in these cases but every vet's experience is different.

You definitely should be able to deal with this topically at home and the following are my suggestions as to what can be done:

1. Avoid use of perioxide since its use can retard healing. Instead, use over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) to gently clean the lesion twice a day.

2. Topical antibiotic ointments or creams can be used with small amounts applied after it drys.

3. A perfect product for this type of problem would be Vetericyn Spray which is available at many pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

4. Preventing access to the area will be quite important as you might imagine so that Danny doesn't cause further damage to his skin.

I wouldn't consider this to be an ER type of situation. You should be able to deal with it at home.

And, just in case you were wondering about bandaging the tail, you can certainly try but in most cases, they fall right off as soon as the patients wags it.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Danny. How is the wound on his tail doing? Deb