Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 14year. Old whippet just had an MRI to checkout atrophied

Customer Question

My 14year. Old whippet just had an MRI to checkout atrophied temporalis
Muscle left side now developed acute urine infection post op(conididental)
But spot urinalysis revealed bilirubin crystals liver function tests two weeks earlier had been normal vet now wants to do abdo scans etc but I'm reluctant to put him through more teste as he reacts so badly post op
I've asked if we can hope that the antibiotics for the infection will help and it may clear on its own post genaral anaesthetic
Is this unrealistic brain MRI was inconclusive no tumour found
CSF sample clean
He was castrated at 12 yrs due to
Acute prostatitis
Immediately post a couple of months later developed sacro iliac pain was grounded for six months I slept on floor with him whilst treated gabapentine for 18mths developed enlarged live enzymes raised I weaned him of and liver enzymes returned to normal
Could this just be result of GA anaesthesia in old dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Bilirubin crystals may be present in normal dogs with concentrated urine or due to bilirubinuria. Can you post Thunder's entire urinalysis, please? There is only one liver function test we perform regularly - serum bile acids. Is this the test you're referring to or are you referring to the liver enzymes ALT, AP, and GGT? If these enzymes were normal and, particularly, if serum bile acids were normal I don't see the point in investigated Thunder's liver further by imaging. I would be pleased to review all of Thunder's test results if you wish. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thunder. How is everything going?