jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a minidoxie we got from a family who I believe would

Customer Question

I have a minidoxie we got from a family who I believe would never let her go outside. They told us they lived somewhere that didn't allow dogs, so I feel they even may have punished her if she went out. This leads to many clean ups during the day. I have worked with her and she is getting comfortable going out. Unfortunately I have 3 other minis who have taken to mimicking her and now go inside . Any suggestions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can you tell me what you are using and how you are cleaning up after her?

how did you train the other dogs to go outside?

JaCustomer,

I was waitinig on a response to my information request, but don't want you to not have an answer either. The most common reasons for previously house trained dogs to start eliminating in the house when another dog is doing so is due to improper cleaning. You need to use a enzymatic cleaner and let it soak into the area where the urine and other bodily fluids were. Urine travels through carpet down to padding and when it hits the subflooring it spreads out. You clean the surface and the smell lingers underneath drawing other dogs there to eliminate. Cleaning well with the enzymatic cleaner may stop their eliminating inside with just that thorough cleaning of any area you know has been eliminated on.

You might get the special light at the hardware store that pinpoints urine stains. If that doesn't completely correct the issue, you may have to house train each of them again but it will be very quick since they have already been trained previously.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.