Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 22 week old German Shepherd female. She was all

Customer Question

I have a 22 week old German Shepherd female. She was all okay this morning ate her breakfast. Acting her usual self. Took her on a walk at roughly 11am. Whilst on a walk through a wooded area she came a across a bag which appeared to have several dead
rabbits inside she had a good sniff possible are some before I got over there to stop her. Seemed fine after walk. It wasn't till 7pm she didn't eat her food which is very unlike her. She didn't want a treat or anything which is very unlike herself. Seems
lethargic an unsteady in back legs. Has passed seem diarrhoea no blood. No vomiting. Heart rate 147 bpm 44
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has answered your questions yet in regards ***** *****

Often when a dog has gi upset they can have weakness due to muscle aches. It is possible it is related to what she was exposed to in the wooded area or simply gi upset as can happen in young dogs

My recommendations tonight:

- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with water (crushed if needed) to help settle her stomach

- Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. This is bland yet bulking so will help bulk up her stool and hopefully settle her stomach as well

- If diarrhea continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Luna comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense and Luna is feeling better soon! Please let me know if I can clarify anything or assist with any additional questions tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in on you and Luna are doing since you asked your question. Is she doing better today? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've since been to the vets and she's been diagnosed with hip dysplasia after xrays. They've given me rimadyl 50mg tablets to give her daily bit my vet didn't mention a surgical option at all went straight for medical management. I've been looking into tpo surgeries etc. Would this be a possibility for my puppy ?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for the diagnosis. This surgery has the best success in puppies approximately 16-20 weeks old (ideally closer to 16 weeks). I have had it done in dogs that are 22 weeks old but the success rate is not as high and it was on a giant breed so their growth rate is much slower than a large breed...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Oops, I am so sorry I was referring to a different surgery that is available at this age, the Juvenile Pelvis Symphysiodesis (JPS)

Your option is an FHO or removal of the hip joint therefore removal of the source of pain or a total hip replacement which she would have to be at least 10-12 months old to perform. Lastly as you mentioned the TPO. This is not an option for all puppies with hip dysplasia. If the hip socket is too shallow this is not a viable option, certain x-rays are required to rule this in/ out and an orthopedic veterinary exam (specialist) would help hone in on the best option for your puppy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's mainly subluxation which seems to be the issue. She just hates not being able to go for walks and stuck in the house and garden all the time. If she did have surgery would this alleviate the pain completely leading her to have a much more normal life ?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If she was a candidate for this surgery she would have a 6-8 week restriction postoperatively. It does have a good success in the patients that this is a viable option but there are risks of complications and doesn't work with all pets. The goal is to give a good quality of life and not effect her longevity. I have a patient that had it at 10 months and is now 8 & 1/2 and is doing very well

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.