Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has a rash on her neck and back. Feels like pimples.

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has a rash on her neck and back. Feels like pimples. Very itchy. What can I do to relieve her itching?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a vet for 15 years. What breed is Zoe? Is the fur matted down in the area or is there a lot of oozing there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hair is not matted and no oozing.
Toy schnauzer.
No baths in three weeks, no meds.I have to pick my wife at the train and won't be back for awhile. Will answer your questions adapt.Thank you,
Bruce
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is ok if you got to go! Your wife being picked up is pretty important! Based on your description, it sounds like there could be pustules (the pimples) in this area and this indicates a mild dermatitis. These usually respond well to a short course of oral antibiotics that your vet can prescribe after evaluation. That is good that the area doesn't have matting or a lot of oozing. temporary relief can be obtained with some through the use of Beandryl (diphenhydramine) it can give relief in some cases what doses at 1mg per pound twice a day. Treating the underlying issue is important and that is where getting your vet involved is best when it can be done. Could this be due to allergies? A topical irritant that got into that area? A fungal infection? Fleas? These are all other considerations.