Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 10 year old dachshund ate a steak bone last night. I

Customer Question

My 10 year old dachshund ate a steak bone last night. I didn't realize it until she ate half of it. I took it from her. But this morning she is acting uncomfortable and won't eat or drink. I've called her vet (they can't see her) and the emergency vet is very expensive. Unfortunately I just lost my job and am trying to get on my feet. Is there anything I can do to help her?? Please help! I've had her her whole life and I love her dearly . I've been a responsible loving pet owner who just happens to be going though a rough patch. If they require surgery I can't do it. I don't have the funds. I've even tried for a credit card for vet expenses and I wasn't approved.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Most bones will be digested by the stomach acid and then pass normally. This applies to chicken, beef and pork bones. We will on occasion find one that gets stuck in the intestine, but more often than not it will break down and pass.

To help them move a little easier, I like to bulk up the diet in these dogs. To do this, you can take the dog's normal daily food amount and split it into 3-4 small meals to give every 6-8 hours. This will help keep things moving.

If you notice any vomiting, then get the dog seen to make sure there is no obstruction or perforation. It would be uncommon, but it's something to keep an eye on for the next 2-3 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read to give her canned pumpkin with high protein or fiber. Is this true ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just had a bowel movement. No blood. A little slimy though. Clear slime around the somewhat stool. She is acting a little more active as well.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Canned pumpkin is a good fiber source to help keep the colon moving. I also like to give some bread to these guys- it can help pad any bony pieces and help move them more comfortably.