Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just started stretching alot more than normal. He

Customer Question

My dog just started stretching alot more than normal. He threw up x3 2 days ago. Nothing since then. I took him to the vet blood work came back normal. I didn't see the vomit. Stool has been the same but stretches every time he sits. The issue sounds like the above. I been giving him chicken and rice. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the vet just check a general profile or did the blood test check for pancreatitis?

If you press firmly on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Did his vet put him on any treatments?

Does he ever sit with his forelegs lowered while keeping his bottom in the air?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blood test came back normal for pancreatitis. Pressed on belly but nothing normal he was yelping two days ago when he sat. He has a habit of getting socks he might have eaten something not quite sure. The vet gave me a anti vomiting pills I gave him for the last two days. He has got some what back into playful but not as much he'll sit on top of couch with his head down. He just started doing that to sit laydown
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belly if firm
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the reason for my questions is because stretching like this is a sign of abdominal discomfort. It can be seen with pancreatitis but also is commonly a sign we see in young dogs with foreign bodies or severe gastroenteritis.

In this case, the tests and treatments that have been done so far have been appropriate. Still, if he isn't bouncing back from this despite treatment and is still uncomfortable with a firm (which is more likely him tensing to protect something tender as opposed to a mass or enlarged organ) belly, I'd be wary that we have a lurking non-edible item in that GI. Therefore, at the very least, we'd want to speak to his vet about trying pain relief (ie Bupenorphine, Tramadol) to ease his signs but it would also be worth thinking about an xray here. Depending on their findings, he may just need further symptomatic care with pain relief but if something is stuck, we'd be best to know about it sooner rather then later to ensure we make the best treatment decisions for him.

Finally, just as you monitor and discuss this with his vet, I would suggest adding a spoonful of tinned pumpkin (or all bran) +/- a dose of cat hair ball treatment to that light diet. The reason is because if there is something like a sock, those additives could help us just push that through and out the other side for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet