Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a urinary infection meth resistant staph

Customer Question

My dog has a urinary infection meth resistant staph pseudointermedius. He had culture/sensitivity test and minocycline was listed as susceptible. 2 weeks being on minocycline he is still showing clinical signs. 9 days after being on minocycline no bacteria
was found in urine but c/s showed the staph infection still present. Is the minocycline working?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to add he had stones removed on august 20 and was on chloramphenicol via sub q injections for 3 weeks and did not tolerate that drug well. alk phos went up to 2200 while on drug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
infection was cleared after chloramphenicol but re-occurred 10 days later.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Please clarify "no bacteria was found in urine". Does that imply that none were seen microscopically in a urinalysis? This is common when very dilute urine is present. The culture and sensitivity is confirmatory for the presence of MRSP unless it's a skin contaminant obtained during cystocentesis. In that case, the colony count should be quite low on a blood agar plate. To answer you directly, if the minocycline were effective in vivo, no growth should have occurred in Leroy's urine. Either the antibiotic appears to be effective in vitro but isn't in vivo or a nidus of infection such as a recurrent stone should be considered prompting another X-ray or ultrasound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will keeping him on minocycline for 2 more weeks hurt him if it is not working?

Doing so would allow an infection resistant to minocycline to worsen over the next 2 weeks. It's important to note that therapeutic levels of minocycline aren't usually found in urine. This antibiotic is extensively metabolized in the liver and primarily excreted as inactive metabolites in the feces and urine. Less than 20% is excreted unchanged in the urine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.