Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is about 8 lbs he swalliowed my Carvedelol 12.5 mg

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Fortunately this is a medication used in animals but this is a moderately high dose for his size. For an 8 pound dog (3.6 kg) he would take approximately a 1 mg dose if he had a heart condition necessitating this medication

As a precaution, if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

According to the veterinary handbook: There were 406 single agent exposures to carvedilol reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 380 dogs, 62 were symptomatic. The clinical signs included: lethargy (42%), bradycardia (21%), hypotension (8%), hypertension (8%) and tachycardia (8%). Of the 25 cats, 4 were symptomatic with 75% being lethargic and 50% vomiting.

So if he doesn't vomit with the medication it would be best to have him seen by a veterinary er to give stronger medication to induce vomiting (apomorphine) and if no vomiting to give activated charcoal orally to bind the medication and prevent absorption and clinical signs above

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully you were able to view my response, I had to do some calculations and why it took a moment to type the information

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Duke doing? Did he bring up the medication? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!