Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We have a dog that was drug on a leash by a car. He has no

Customer Question

We have a dog that was drug on a leash by a car. He has no visible broken bones and was inspected by the vet and they said no broken bones but he has road burn and abrassions down to his bone. The vet gave him pain med but wouldn't help with nothing else.
We have no money for treatment so we are trying to do this on our own. Please help!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter posted the question earluer, i have an update- We have the dog bandaged and he's sedated from the pain med. It's mostly all abrasions, but there is one gash on his leg, not bleeding but they should have stitched it. I closed it and bandaged with medical tape, covered with light dressing. He has triple antibiotic ointment on the abrasions and non stick pads. We have him under blankets and he's pretty warm-ears are warm too. When he first came back from vet, if I put my hand on his ribs I could feel wheezing like a deep snore. After he relaxed, after the bandaging, the wheezing feeling is muchh lighter. My concern is that he aspirated blood from his mouth and nose and may end up with pneumonia. He seems pretty stable and he is responsive with his eyebrows. I know he's not going to eat tonight or drink because he's out from the med. But I don't want him to dehydrate and I don't know how much blood he lost, I don't think it was a lot but my first aid training is for humans so I'm not sure what else to do. I DO NOT GIVE UP ON ANIMALS, I've had too many live through bad stuff and are still with me.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm really sorry that you're in this tough situation with your pup - I know that it can be very stressful. Road rash always looks a lot worse than it actually is, so usually the main thing that they need is some basic wound care to allow that to heal. It's probably the least of his worries. Nonstick pads are the way to go for road rash dressings, although once they dry up and form a scab, it's better to let them air out. I usually do prescribe antibiotics for any sort of wounds like this because they can be quite contaminated. This is especially true for the deeper laceration that you mentioned. Suturing a wound will help it heal faster, but many wounds will heal just fine on their own - they just take longer. Once again, it's a matter of keeping the wound clean and dry and free from infection. This is going to be his best shot if you can't afford to have it sutured. Please know that I can't say for sure without seeing it for myself that it will heal, but going off of my years of experience - these guys can do amazing things when we get out of the way and let nature do its thing. One night of not eating and drinking isn't going to get him dehydrated, so give him the night to relax and try some food and water in the morning. If your vet didn't prescribe antibiotics, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask about it - cephalexin can be purchased for $4 at a lot of grocery store pharmacies or walmart with a prescription.

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you....not yet. My husband is staying next to him through the night. He seems to be stable still and breathing ok. He did move around a little to get comfortable and he lifted his head a few times. He got a little excited and I think he was trying to get up. He finally got still again but he's awake and will look you in the eyes and he turns his eyes good. He also opened his mouth and moved his tongue around. We offered water -He didn't want to drink it but he did lick it off our fingers. Hopefully he will just rest through the night. Thank you for being here.....I couldn't love this service any more, at times you're the only help someone gets. It's nice to know someone is there when you need it most.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing :) I think the biggest hurdle for him at this point is going to be getting him to eat and drink. Let me know if I can help more :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is up and walking around this morning, he has drank 2 bowls of water....I think he's going to be ok!! Now we work on getting antibiotics
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Woohoo! I'm so glad to hear that :) Thanks for the update! Let me know if/when other questions pop up :)

~Dr. Sara