Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I was setting off bug bombs in my house. My Chihuahua snuck

Customer Question

I was setting off bug bombs in my house. My Chihuahua snuck into the house, he was in the house for under five minutes. I wished him immediately with Don dish soap. He sneezed and coughed once or twice,he seems to be ok.but I want to know is there any immediate health risks to my dog? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Buddy Dude. The respiratory signs that he experienced soon after exposure to the bombs are pretty much what I would expect but much depends on the ingredients of the product which was used as to whether or not there would be other toxicity worries.

Can you share the label with me so that I can determine if there are any ingredients which would be of concern?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get to the canister or the packaging because they're still in the house and I can't get in the house for another hour and a half. It's been over an hour since he was in the house and he seems to be OK or at least normal.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand. If you can remember the name of the product, then I might be able to research its ingredients online.

In most cases, these products aren't going to be toxic to our pets but there are a few exceptions. Those which contain chlorfenapyr or bromethalin

can cause some nasty symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, fever and even sudden death (as the worst case scenario, obviously).

I would love to reassure you that he's going to be fine (and I certainly hope he will be) but without knowing exactly to what he's been exposed, I can't entirely reassure you about any possible symptoms he might develop.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know their bug bomb brand for fleas and mites we got these at Walmart. Soon I should be able to go into the house and check what the ingredients are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he has not sneeze yet since the first time I pulled him out of the house. And there is no vomit yet.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

That's good that he doesn't have any additional symptoms at this time. Regardless of the ingredients on the label, other things you'll want to monitor will be:

1. Recurrent coughing or respiratory issues since pneumonitis or even pneumonia might develop...although this latter problem isn't commonly seen.

2. Problems with the eyes such as corneal ulcers or irritation (conjunctivitis). The signs won't be subtle if his eyes are affected: he might be squinting or keeping them closed or a discharge might develop. You might not notice these signs for another few hours or a little longer.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Unfortuantely, I'm going to have to step away from my computer for a bit to help a neighbor who has health issues. But I'll log back on shortly and hope by then that you'll have been able to retrieve the bug bomb and provide an ingredient list.

Then, I'll get back to you after I've researched potential risks involved.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK soon I will be checking the canister to see what the ingredients are. Then I'll let you know what they are made of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok name of the bug bomb was hot shot bedbug & flea fogger is what we used. I just checked the can and those two toxins that you talked about are not in the active ingredients. But he seems to be OK Still no sneezing or vomiting or irritation of the eyes yet. It looks like he's going to be OK but is there anything else that I should monitor through the rest of the evening?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

From what I can tell, the active ingredient in this product would be Pyrethrins which can be quite troublesome for cats but less so for dogs.

Pyrethrins are well absorbed orally but poorly absorbed across the skin so it's a good thing that Buddy Dude didn't ingest any of the product.

More than likely, he's going to be fine especially since you were quick thinking enough to bath him right away. However, additional signs to monitor over the next few hours include: include fever or just the opposite a low temperature (normal is between 100 and 102.5), “paw flicking,” hyperexcitability, tremors, balance issues, and weakness. Severe signs such as difficulty breathing, seizures, or death are very uncommon in dogs.

He may not be completely out of the woods for a full 24 hours after exposure but the fact that he's not shown any other signs is really good.

In all honesty, these foggers typically carry fairly low levels of pesticides so I really don't expect him to have any major issues but I do hope you'll keep me posted about him. I'd like to know for sure that this is the case. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with him. Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in on Buddy Dude. How is he doing since his encounter with the flea fogger? Deb