Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 7lb 2 yr old chihuahua was fine this morning and then

Customer Question

My 7lb 2 yr old chihuahua was fine this morning and then suddenly started acting like she is in pain (shaking, tail tucked and remaining close to me). A little bit ago she started wheezing and hacking for several minutes which she has never done before. Following this her shaking got worse and she is laying at my feet with her ears drawn back and her eyes closed shaking. Any clues?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The shaking is telling you that Lily is in some form of pain. I am not sure what the hacking and wheezing may be caused by but the most common thing would be some form of allergic reaction. This could be being bitten by an insect or a contact allergy. The first thing I would recommend is to give Lily Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If this is an allergic reaction, you should see a difference in only an hour or more. If the shaking gets worse rather than better, it is best to take Lily to your vet since it may be that she has something stuck in her throat causing her this distress.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****